My Anipan: AnipanMy Tumblr: Tumblr
EDIT: I made it as big as a screenshot would let me. I also changed up the pictures/steps a bit.
Sorry it's kinda small, hopefully you can still see everything. This was done mostly in Paint Tool Sai. The finishing touches (as can be seen on the final picture but not on here, were done in Photoshop).
Finished picture: [link]
1) Sketch with basic shapes for bodies. Just laying out composition. Different colors help make the sketch look prettier (which is motivation for me to draw). Basic shapes help to better define anatomy then going right in and drawing.
2) More detailed sketch, filling in the muscles and clothing. Lots of google referencing here for the clothing.
3) Inked with dark reddish brown and 3px brush. The original image is 8.5x11in at 300 dpi, for comparison to the size of the brush. Actually, I think a 1px brush would have been better here. I did use that for the faces.
4) Filled in base colors.
5) Used a soft airbrush get some big gradients (see Homura's hair and Madoka's shoes).
6) Started shading on skin and Homura's hair. Shading was done with brush tool with opacity and color blending set on low and persistence set on medium. I wanted it like cell shading but softer.
7) Finished shading. Tweaked colors in overlay layer with big, soft airbrush.
8) Drew background and added details.
9) Went into Photoshop to add textures and tweeked colors (not shown here but end results can be seen in final image, which is linked at the top of the description).